Okay so are these salad posts getting out of hand yet? No? Yes? They’re all I’ve been eating as of late so sorry for the salad overload! At least they’re all different right? I’ve got a few more in the works, so hold tight, this salad wave is almost over (I think). Every time I think I can’t take another salad, I get hit with inspiration and feel like I’ve reinvented the wheel.
The other day, I bought so many cans of chickpeas. I went chickpea crazy (to be honest, I’m not complaining). Chickpeas are one of Gods great gifts to the earth. I decided to roast a couple of cans but to make them a little extra special, I covered them with paprika and cumin to give them a bit of a Mexican flavour twist. That became my inspiration so I added avocado, cucumber and spinach drizzled with a lime and chillie dressing for a loose interpretation of a Mexican salad.
It was delicious. I will be making it again for sure! The protein from the chickpeas really fills you up along with the fats from the avocado so you won’t walk away hungry.
- 3 cans of chickpeas (save the water)
- 1 cucumber
- 2 avocados
- 2 cups baby spinach (or other salad)
- 1 fresh chilli, diced (seeds removed)
- Juice of 2 limes
- tspn olive oil
- 2 tspn of paprika
- 1 tspn cumin
- pinch of salt
- Drain chickpeas and spread evenly on a baking tray.
- Toss with paprika, cumin and salt (adding more if needed)
- Roast in a 180 degree celcius oven fro 20-30 minutes or until dried and crunchy
- Cube avocado flesh and scoop out of skin. Dice cucumber.
- Toss with spinach leaves in a large salad bowl.
- Combine lime juice, olive oil and chillie in a jar. Seal and shake well.
- Pour over spinach, cucumber and avocado and toss thoroughly to coat evenly.
- Place in serving bowls. Top with chickpeas just before serving.