Mangos are finally back in season here in Australia and I can happily report I’ve been stuffing myself full of them. Sweet, juicy and refreshing. Yum. I love that mangoes can be enjoyed in so many different ways with dessert only being one of those ways.
Enter my Mango and Pecan salad. The crunch of the pecans with the soft juicy flesh of the mango makes me want to eat a whole bowl full and then some. Served along side rocket, refreshing cucumber, freshly squeezed lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, you’ve got a super healthy and super yummy meal! If you’re not vegan, add some goats cheese or just regular feta for even extra flavour and yumminess. This salad is perfect for a summer BBQ partaaayyy or just your average night at home watching Netflix (I wouldn’t want to share either TBH).
I served it on my new wooden serving board from Victoria’s Basement. Doesn’t it look pretty!??! It’s almost always on sale. You can also buy custom made ones from one of my favourite Etsy stores, Tim Wright Woodwork.
I’m getting hungry just looking at it again. You know that saying, You don’t make friends with salad? Yeah well, I can guarantee you will be making friends with THIS one!
- 2 Fresh Mangoes
- ½ Cup Pecans (more if you like)
- 2 cups fresh rocket (or other salad)
- 2 lemons
- 2 cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- Feta or Goats cheese (optional)
- Cook brown rice. Set aside in the refrigerator to cool.
- Squeeze lemons and save the juice in a jar.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper, seal and shake to combine
- Place rocket and brown rice in a bowl and pour dressing over leaving a little for serving
- Toss and coat evenly. Set aside.
- Slice mangoes and cucumbers into thin strips.
- Crush pecans slightly.
- Place rocket and rice on a serving platter. Lay mangoes over and then sprinkle with pecans and optional cheese.
- Pour over the remaining dressing.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.