Quiche. Think of quiche and no doubt eggs come to mind. But what if I told you, not ALL quiche needs eggs? *Cue secret ingredient*
Okay sure, it’s not much of a secret. I’m sure most people know of the endless possibilities tofu has when it comes to vegan cooking. So yes, the “secret” ingredient is tofu but don’t palm off humble tofu! It’s so versatile and the fact that is has almost NO taste means you can add it to any sweet or savoury dish. Only a few foods are truly sweet and savoury compatible!
Even better, this quiche is gluten free! As Charlie Sheen would say; Winning! I don’t know what much else to say about this other than you should definitely make it for your next dinner party or just have it for dinner/lunch/breakfast. And make sure you let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 800g soft tofu
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tspn black salt
- 1/2 tspn garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (yeast flakes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry :
- 80g butter
- 100g Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1 tablespoon phsyllium husks
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius
- To make pastry, mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined
- Press into a large, greased, tart dish making sure to spread evenly
- Bake tart shell for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, drain tofu into a sieve. Press lightly to remove extra liquid.
- Transfer to large mixing bowl and add spinach leaves, mushrooms, black salt, garlic powder, yeast flakes and, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into tart shell. Bake for 40 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Serve with a salad (????) or just have by itself