Summer is coming! Pool parties and beach days are being penciled into diaries and that means it’s out with the hearty soups and stews, and in with the fresh tossed green salads and iced juices.
I didn’t wait long for winter to make it’s way out the door before opening my arms and welcoming Spring with this super healthy salad #solongwinter ! All the health, all the flavour, none of the guilt (if you feel food-related guilt that is). I used store bought curry powder here as I was rushing through it, but I usually use my own blend to create a more personalised taste.
Make this ahead of time and use it for meal preps during the week or for your next hello spring BBQ with friends! I usually have this with whole roasted sweet potato for an easy healthy and filling lunch.
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Cook lentils in 1 1/2 cups of water and a teaspoon of curry powder.
- Boil uncovered until the water has been absorbed and the lentil are slightly soft (don’t cover, otherwise they will go mushy)
- Do the same with the quinoa
- Let both lentil and quinoa cool in the fridge (overnight is best, but an hour or two works)
- Combine and season with salt and pepper, and more curry powder if needed.
- Take coconut oil in the palm of your hand and rub it into the kale leaves.
- Add oiled kale to lentil and quinoa mix.
- Pour lemon juice over and mix thoroughly.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste and leave in the fridge until ready to serve.