Here in Sydney we have the famous ice-cream parlour, Messina. People come from far and wide to line up in a very long queue (especially in summer!) just to get a scoop or two (or a couple of litres if you’re feeling it) of their delicious gourmet gelato. So good. So delicious. So gor-mette. “Wait!”, I hear you say, “is this a Messina funded post??”. Alas no, but stay with me, there is a point.
D and I have been to Messina many times. We trek up a really big hill (some say it’s a small mountain) where the little parlour sits at the tip. We peruse the flavours usually going with two scoops in a cone. Unfourtunately, now that we’re both eating gluten free, the order has now changed to a cup (hold the spoon! #plasticfreejuly) and many of the delicious flavours are now off limits. That includes the super-yum-yum-in-my-tum Apple Crumble. Seriously, who comes up with these flavours. Make them a king!
So to save us the heartache both emotionally and physically, I decided to try out my own gluten free AND vegan version of Messina’s Apple Crumble Gelato.
I am pleased to announce it was a SUCCESS! All thanks to aquafaba of course 😉 #thanksbae
So long mountain! I shall not miss your burn x
What’s your favourite flavour? Would you climb a mountain to find it? Let me know in the comments!
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Apple Filling
- 3 medium apples
- 1 tspn of cinnamon
- 1 tspn nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Icecream Base
- 1/2 cup aquafaba
- 1 tspn cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- Combine flour, sugar and butter in a small bowl.
- Mix until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add more water if needed.
- Bake in a 160 degree oven until slightly crisp.
- Core and chop apples (remove skin if desired)
- Put into a small saucepan with nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cover and simmer until the apple is soft and falling apart.
- Stir in butter.
- Beat aquafaba until firm peaks form.
- Slowly add sugar and continue beating until a thick meringue consistency is achieved
- Fold in vanilla and milk
- Add the apple mixture and crumble. Fold in gently.
- Freeze overnight